Thursday, 24 June 2010

Do the female Carpenter bees stay in their nests throughout the day?

I need to get some yard work done and I'm terrified of these bees. I understand that the males don't sting but I'm not sure where the actual nest is and I don't want to make them feel threatened. Will the females hang around the outside of the nest to stand guard?Do the female Carpenter bees stay in their nests throughout the day?
the females that have already finished their nest are busy gathereing pollen for them selves and for in the nest for the larvae.... so they're out on the flowers... the males are hovering near the females' nest holes.....





as was said, the females don't care about YOU as long as you don't try to handle her or step on her.... I can have my nose in the same patch of flowers that she's working on and she won't even pay a bit of attention to me, other than to sample my nose to see if it has pollen or not!...... don't fear these bees.. they're good fellas.....Do the female Carpenter bees stay in their nests throughout the day?
I live in a farming village in North East Thailand. There are a lot of carpenter bees, known as Maeng Pboo, here as there are a lot of houses that have an upper story made from wood. This is where carpenter bees tend to live. They bore a very neat hole into the wood and live in there. They live a pretty much solitary existence and do not build communal nests like other types of bee. They live alone in their hole. As you say the male, which looks a little like a bumble bee, does not sting. The female which is black gives a very nasty sting but is not aggressive and will only use it in defense. You won't find a nest but if you see any holes in a piece of wood, facing down, they don't want to be washed out, about 3/8 to 1/2 an inch in diameter take care. That may be a carpenter bees home and he/she might be at home.
  • what is web hosting
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin infection