Tuesday, 22 June 2010

How should I teach my 8-9 year old daughter about the ';birds and the bees';?

This past year, she has become increasingly curious about the differences in male and female bodies, what the different body parts look, etc. So far, our conversations have been more Q/A with simple answers, and she seems more interested in more specific answers. I think this might be time to give her a fuller understanding of human sexuality at a level appropriate to her age.





How did you teach your child about the human body and sexual relations? In how much detail did you go? How graphic did you get? What do you recommend?





I know that a child can grasp only so much intellectually, but what level of detail is age appropriate and not appropriate? Is it appropriate to use ';visual'; aids? If so, what do you recommend? Other thoughts? Thanks!How should I teach my 8-9 year old daughter about the ';birds and the bees';?
I used an age appropriate book. The book was written in a dialogue with both parents answering questions their children had. It was simple to read and not overwhelming. There was also drawings of the human body which was very appropriate and not embarrassing. I had my kids read it on their own or with another fam member like a sibling, cousin or even a friend. Then I let them know that I'd be here for any of their questions.





It was simple. But when I knew the time was near for them to know about sex and their bodies, I was really nervous and overwhelmed.





But, it turned out pretty easy and even comical at times. I had one daughter that was dramatic, and comical at the same time. It was a hoot!





this one particular daughter went up to her dad while he was making a sandwich and asked him, ';Dad, did you and mom 'do it ' 5 times because theres 5 kids?'; And without missing a beat or hesitation he said ';yep'; and went on making his sandwich. And she was good with that answer! Ahahaha! Well, that was years ago. She now knows much more. :0)





Hubby said he was just dying inside when she asked him that. Ahahaha!How should I teach my 8-9 year old daughter about the ';birds and the bees';?
Most reasonable parents explain the names of body parts from the time a child is an infant. You build your conversations from there.


8-9 years old is a little late to get started.


Talk to your librarian about book suggestions to get the conversation started at an age appropriate level.
u dont need to thats wat friendz r 4! ull just embarrass yourselves
my mom bought me a book and gave it to me to read. it was a kids book that explained it realy simply, but acuratly. she said if i had questions to ask. i suggest looking for one of those books
i dont know.. all that i know is that kids in the 4th and 5th grade learn that stuff now. i remember when i was in 4th grade the school nurse came in and told us everything.
There are children's books on the subject that do all the work for you. You just answer questions later.


If she asks what does a male bodypart look like, just say it's like a banana or a cucumber.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin infection