Thursday, 24 June 2010

What is happening to all the disapearing bees? and what can I do to help?

In the news it has been talking about loads of disapearing bees, what has happened to them and what can I do to help?What is happening to all the disapearing bees? and what can I do to help?
Here's the wiki article.What is happening to all the disapearing bees? and what can I do to help?
One theory (and there are many) is that it is signals from mobile phones that are cause the abandoned hives. If true, this would require a major upheaval - we've gotten so used to them (Phones, that is!)
You could try using your mobile in the city rather than at home, stick to the land line. Also bees are drawn to certain types of flowers and fruit, such as lavender, daises, roses and Lilly's, strawberries, blackberries etc.





They are great also for pest control, they feed their young largely on flies such as blue bottles, beetles and caterpillars. Bees and all forms of stingers are essential for the pollination of plants and flowers and trees, they are part of the reason why the world is so colourful and are an essential part of the Eco system.





I suggest you place as much flowers as possible in your garden, pesticide free. I have done this and I see loads of them almost everyday, I even have a colony that have set up home in my shed integrating a pair of old trainers into their hive, its massive, but since the shed is at the bottom of the garden and a good distance away, given I live in the country, I'm not bothered as all the stuff has been moved into the Garage.


People need to read up and learn more about our pretty black and yellow buddies, who not only provide delicious honey but make the world a brighter place...
I`ve used them all up in my magic act,oops there goes another one.
Don't worry, they are all in my garden. There's bloody loads of them.
Ok, first up are mobile phones the cause? Unlikely as the original report on bees and phones was misquoted. Base units from household cordless phones were used in a small pilot study to see if they could be placed in hives to throw off returning bees' navigation. Even then there was only an 8% ddifference between hives with and without the units in them.


As to the real cause, researchers are still undecided although toxicity in the environment, depletion of habitat and disease/parasitic attack are the current main culprits.


To help you can turn a small patch of garden (or window sill) over to flowering native plants. There is no shortage of blooms from plants bred for the garden, but native flowers (often considered weeds) can be in short supply. check with your local Nature society or council for a list of likely plants. Then add a bee box (a small box full of tiny card nesting tubes) and/or a small pile of wood. There are many varieties of bee and some of the rarer species need these kinds of home to use. If you are feeling dedicated you could also sew wildflower seeds on a local plot of derelict land and buy a pot of locally collected honey.


Hope you get to find out lots more.
its happened before, we still had honey!
It's a disease that kills the bees. It's not the first time, it has happened before, but now it;s in a greater scale.
Can try growing nice bright strong smelling flowers such as Geraniums, Aquilegia,Lupins, Foxgloves,Lavender, Salvia, Honeysuckle or even flowering fruit bushes and herbs. While waiting for these to grow try putting a solution of 30% Honey 70% water in very small conatiners (bottle top). This will give them something to live on and hopefully should encourage them.
its cell phones and no i will not give mine up.
I've heard that if all the bee's were to die we would all die 5years later (pollination)
I've read that as well as the quote w/ Albert Einstein. It scares me to death!





Now I've read that it wasn't Einstein who said it. I'll trash my cell phone anyway btw.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin infection