Friday, 11 December 2009

The Birds and the Bees. How do I talk to my 12 year old son about it?

I feel like he is ready, and I want him to know from his father (me) before he gets bad info from peers. I just need some ideas for what to talk about and how to make him comfortable talking to me about it. Thanks in advance for the help.The Birds and the Bees. How do I talk to my 12 year old son about it?
There are actually some good, UPDATED books about boys %26amp; the changes their bodies go through...they also have introductions to sex.





Things should remain very factual...with very little editorial added into it. This occurs, then this happens, etc.





If you're going to talk to him about intercourse, I'd also have prepared something to explain your families values %26amp; beliefs about sex...but also educate him in case he fails to keep up with those beliefs if his peers are able to convince him otherwise. (So, if you'd like him to wait for marriage for sex, say so. Tell him why. But also explain that should a situation come up where he is going to engage outside of marriage, how important it is to protect himself from STDs, as well as from getting his partner pregnant.)





Don't let him feel like sex is somehow wrong or bad...that can give it a stigma. And explain that b/c of nerve endings in the appropriate areas, it can feel very good...that the 'feel good' of sex at this age, has little to do with romantic feelings, but a lot to do with biology.The Birds and the Bees. How do I talk to my 12 year old son about it?
I hate to say it but it's best it's said. I'm twenty-one, when I was twelve, kids were having sex. As if that's not disturbing enough I've seen how much music, sex, and fashion has really ruined any class that the television used to display. I have a three year old son and one year old daughter and wonder when and how I am supposed to talk to them. It used to be that as a teenager there was innocence. He's definitely had the talk at school about how the male body is different from the female. I had that talk in fourth grade which made me barely ten. What I plan to tell my kids when they're ready to hear it is that before and above everything comes responsibility and all actions entail it. Sex is no different. Not just pregnancy but diseases and the emotional roller coaster it'll cause both of those teenagers when they're hormones are raging. I really think a slideshow of the diseases that come with it would be more than enough to gross a kid out, as he/she should be at that age. I wish you the best of luck and feel free to return the advice because I'll need advice on how to tackle this subject as well.
I'm sure your son already knows about the birds and the bees, I mean come on, hes going to have sex ed in school next year. But if you must talk to him about it, just make sure he knows that it is a perfectly natural thing. If anything it will be an embarrassing man to puppy dog moment that he can make fun of you about.
I would start out with the family in the living room or something watching a TV show or during family dinner and than the father unless he is a mommies boy *lol* to ask if theres a girl at school that he 'likes' and than from there I would kind of talk to him about what you think needs to be said, I can't write out a word for word conversation because well no one really knows what his reaction would be.
No offense, but he's probably already gotten bad info, 12 is old these days. I teach 8 year olds that already more than I did when I was 16. Anyway, ask him if he has any questions about things he's heard from friends or on the playground. If he says no, tell him you just want to make sure he knows he can always ask or tell you anything. Give him the basics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin infection