Friday, 11 December 2009

What are these large bees called that live in the sand around my patio?

We live in Albany New York. Recently we put in a flagstone patio which has quickly become the home to a large flying insect that looks like a bee - thick tablet shaped body with a redish midsection. Wings flap spastically when its on the ground and it lives in the sand between the stones. I think my parents have this type of bee by their pool - they dive bomb water. But we do not have a pool... any idea on what this bug is called and if its dangerous? Thanks!!What are these large bees called that live in the sand around my patio?
I suspect that these are cicada killer wasps. They look very big, but are basicallly harmless (unless you are a cicada). Please look at the pictures on www.showmejoe.com There is no need to kill them.What are these large bees called that live in the sand around my patio?
I have always heard of them as Sand Hornets, when I was younger I was stung by one and it was one of the worse stings I think I had ever had. I would just try and investigate by pictures and see what they are and when you do you can find out if they are harmful. Good Luck!!!
killer bees


bee careful
ground hornet, just as dangerous as any other hornet, they bite. get some pesticide and spray it in between the stones
  • thin hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin infection