Friday, 11 December 2009

Is it possible to keep European honey bees as well as native Canadian bees at the same time?

I have (mostly) native Canadian crops/plants in my gardens but would like to produce honey (not for commercial purposes) as well as improve the health of my gardens with native pollinators.





Is this possible?Is it possible to keep European honey bees as well as native Canadian bees at the same time?
The European bees will pollinate most of your native American crops and as long as you don't use insecticides and have a good amount of pollen and nectar the native bees in your area will also visit your flowers.





There should be no problem having several hives of domesticated bees. they will not chase off the native bees even if you decide to put up wood for the wood bees and other housing for the numerous other native bee species in N American.





I find on my farm in Ohio that I have around 45 different native bees at different times of the year. two weeks ago I saw at least 10 different bees (including 3 banded Italian honey bees) all happily working a flowering plum tree. I no longer keep hives of European bees but when I did, if anything they attracted more native species onto my farm.





The big thing is to not use pesticides if you are trying to attract bees and have water sources that will not drown them ( a bucket with a few twigs stuck in so the insects have a way to climb out if they fall in the water). And of course lots of flowers/pollen/nectar.
  • thin hair
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

     
    skin infection