Friday, 11 December 2009

What happened to all the honey bees?

They are not as many honey bees as there use to bee. Does anyone know what happened to them?What happened to all the honey bees?
When I was a kid you couldn't run across the lawn without getting stung by a honeybee. However those days are over. Two things have led to the tremendous decline in honeybees.





First, spraying for mosquitoes has killed off most all of them except those cared for by beekeepers. I know they spray to prevent encephalitis and west Nile virus but the effect on honeybees have been devastating.





Second, a particular mite, parasitic on honeybees, has killed off a lot of those taken care of by the beekeepers. Consequently in certain states, like Ohio for example, there are no native honeybees left--only those of beekeepers. As the chief pollinators of many flowering plants this has hurt them also.What happened to all the honey bees?
They are all in my kitchen!!!! .....DAMNIT!!! I think I have a hive in my attic. Did you know they can eat a hole through drywall to get in!?! I patched that puppy the minute I saw them crawl through. I killed no less than 50 one day. It was like an Alfred Hitchcock movie! *shivers*
It's the time of year - they arte going into hibernation mode now, so you won't see many out and about until spring. If you mean you have less bees about in general, it could be that when a new queen starts her own hive, she's going to where it is safer, and there is a wider variety of flowers to feed from. If you live in a city area, this will happen as the city expands. And they all do, sadly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
skin infection